Occupational Therapy Assistant
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
About the team we are recruiting to
Adult Social Care is part of the People Directorate within Coventry City Council. We have a simple vision and strategy that defines what we are trying to achieve, our purpose and our approach which underpin the principles of Adult Social Care, and we continue to work in support of this.
In a simple sense all our work, at whatever level should continue to support the strategy of: ‘Providing support, in the least intrusive manner possible, based on the assets, resources and abilities that are available to people’.
Adult Social Care encompasses a wide range of vital services covering;
- Commissioning Team – we commission and work with a number of providers, to ensure that people with care needs have access to a range of good quality support to enable them to live independent and fulfilling lives
- Social Work Services - we work with individuals who have care and support needs, and with their carers be they older or younger adults
- Occupational Therapy and Equipment Services - we aim to enhance people’s ability to live safely and independently in their home
- Internally Provided Services – we provide direct support to people enabling those in most need to live independent and fulfilled lives
- Business Systems and Continuous Improvement - we provide a range of services including Financial Assessments, provider payment processing and Business Systems administration. The Business Systems team provide support to Adult Social Care, Children’s Services and Education Services.
This is an exciting time to join us as we work to put adults and their carers at the heart of everything we do. Specifically, if you are social workers, occupational therapists or social care professionals who are committed to achieving the best outcomes for adults and their carers we will help you make a difference through manageable caseloads, high-quality professional support, supervision and guidance and excellent learning and development opportunities
What is the job role?
Occupational Therapy Assistant, Adult Services, Coventry City Council, 37 hours per week
You will be under Enablement & Therapy services and will be managed by an Occupational Therapist based at the Opal Centre. You will be working with OT and VHI rehabilitation workers to support people with a variety of conditions in the community and care settings. You will assess for equipment and adaptations to promote independence in activities of daily living.
Are you passionate about care and seeking a new challenge? Do you have previous experience within a care, mental or physical health setting? Are you looking to develop new skills in a Therapy Setting?
The role of Therapy Assistant within Coventry City Council is dynamic and fulfilling. You will work with people with a variety of conditions and who are often vulnerable in the community, helping then to regain and enhance their safety and independence at home. You will do this by assessing customers via telephone and face to face home visits. You will be able to identify their needs and provide interventions such as advice and the provision of aids and adaptations to enable customers to reach their goals.
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Who are we looking for?
Coventry City Council are looking for an enthusiastic, organised and reliable individuals to work within our Therapy Team supporting Occupational Therapists.
You will deliver a robust assessment and treatment service to our customers, covering physical, learning, and mental health disabilities. You will work within a highly motivated Occupational Therapy team with ample opportunity to develop your professional range of skills. You will provide a variety of interventions to customers in the community, the aim of which is to enable the customer to live safely and independently in their chosen community. You will also assist the therapists in delivering therapeutic treatment programmes.
We want a team member who can work as part of a team and work independently- managing and prioritising their own time and workload. You must have good communication skills and have basic computer literacy.
It would be beneficial for you to have awareness/ understanding of issues relating to a variety of disabilities, and awareness of techniques that can be used to promote functional independence.
Your skills will include:
- Effective communication – in person, written and over the telephone.
- Conducting assessments in a variety of ways to identity the the customer’s strengths and how they can home to identify their strengths and how they can use these strengths to improve / maintain safety and independence in their chosen home environment.
- Providing instruction to clients and their carers to enable them to achieve maximum functional independence.
- Working both independently and as part of a team.
- Organising an allocated workload, planning and prioritising work to achieve objectives and meet deadlines.
- Developing effective working relationships with customers, colleagues and other agencies.
- Maintaining accurate case records on the computer database.
For Further information please contact Jasvinder Sian on 02476977382 or Naheed Khan on 07739 624723
Interview date(s): 7th and 8th November 2022
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Coventry has a proud, innovative and creative spirit that throughout its history has seen communities come together to tackle problems and bring about real social change.
We are cutting-edge, challenging, youthful, vibrant and diverse.
At Coventry we are committed to excellence in everything we do. With around 4800 staff from a range of different backgrounds, our aim is to recruit and develop talented people who will focus on our customers, take responsibility, work together and find better ways of doing things.
To deliver the best services to our residents, we need the best people working for us to make a difference to our communities.
If you join us, we will provide a fantastic rewards & benefits package which includes:
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Opportunity for Salary Match
- An outstanding local government pension scheme
- Great opportunities to develop with access to accredited courses.
- Access to an award-winning Occupational Health Service
- Salary Sacrifice Scheme
Coventry City Council