Team Manager - Youth Offending Service
About the team we are recruiting to
Coventry Youth Offending Service (CYOS) is a fast paced multi agency team consisting of staff from the Local Authority, Police, Probation, Health and Education. We work with young people age 10-18 who have offended and who are subject to court orders and police imposed out of court disposals.
Our aim is to prevent offending and we do this by engaging with professional support networks, young people and their families/carers to assess their needs and develop plans of intervention that reduce the risk of offending. We work with young people, their families and victims of youth crime in multiple settings including: the community, their homes, court and the custodial estate to offer support, guidance and control to build pro social behaviours and positive support networks.
CYOS is a well-respected service with a good performance background. In our last inspection by Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Probation we were assessed to be “performing well in most areas.” We have a great team spirit evidenced by staff progression being supported through regular development opportunities, very low staff turnover, and low sickness rates.
We participate in local best practice development activity as well as the regional initiatives; for example, supporting pilots to reduce youth violence in partnership with The West Midlands Violence Reduction Unit. Last year we were also selected to host the Executive Chair of the Youth Justice Board, Collin Allars, to discuss local best practice and challenges, providing opportunities for team members to directly engage in local, regional and national activities that support the sector.
What is the job role?
Join us as a Team Manager within the Coventry Youth Offender Service.
As a valued member of the management team you will be responsible for the management and delivery of an effective and efficient service for children, young people, their families, and victims. This activity must be based on the principles of effective practice, in line with Youth Justice Board National Standards and ensure practice reflective of Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Probation quality indicators.
The roles priority objective is to prevent and reduce offending by children. It includes working with the Youth Offending Service Management Board to deliver strategic and professional leadership to the partnership.
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking a Team Manager with:
- A Degree/MA in Social Work, Dip SW, CSS or CQSW (or relevant Social Work England validated Social Work qualification from another country), relevant Probation Qualification, or the Youth Justice Degree.
- Significant experience working within a youth justice or other relevant services.
- Experience of collaborative multi-agency working to improve services, and leading, managing, and implementing change.
- Ability to provide effective professional leadership and set clear operational direction for staff communicating with and motivating staff from a range of professional backgrounds.
- Experience of building meaningful relationships across stakeholders, peers and partners, to represent the YOS in a range of multi-agency settings and to influence and shape the environment to achieve results.
- Interest in the development of youth justice services and commitment to achieving equality standards for staff and service users and to valuing diversity.
- Motivated to work on own initiative and committed to multi-agency and partnership working.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines, to be persuasive and diplomatic and to gain co-operation from others in a multi-agency context.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
All attachments for the job can be found here
Interview date: 19th August 2020
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
Coventry City Council