It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
About the team we are recruiting to
Adult Social Care is part of the People Directorate within Coventry City Council. We have a simple vision and strategy that defines what we are trying to achieve, our purpose and our approach which underpin the principles of Adult Social Care, and we continue to work in support of this.
In a simple sense all our work, at whatever level should continue to support the strategy of: ‘Providing support, in the least intrusive manner possible, based on the assets, resources and abilities that are available to people’.
Adult Social Care encompasses a wide range of vital services covering;
- Commissioning Team – we commission and work with a number of providers, to ensure that people with care needs have access to a range of good quality support to enable them to live independent and fulfilling lives
- Social Work Services - we work with individuals who have care and support needs, and with their carers be they older or younger adults
- Occupational Therapy and Equipment Services - we aim to enhance people’s ability to live safely and independently in their home
- Internally Provided Services – we provide direct support to people enabling those in most need to live independent and fulfilled lives
- Business Systems and Continuous Improvement - we provide a range of services including Financial Assessments, provider payment processing and Business Systems administration. The Business Systems team provide support to Adult Social Care, Children’s Services and Education Services.
This is an exciting time to join us as we work to put adults and their carers at the heart of everything we do. Specifically, if you are social workers, occupational therapists or social care professionals who are committed to achieving the best outcomes for adults and their carers we will help you make a difference through manageable caseloads, high-quality professional support, supervision and guidance and excellent learning and development opportunities
What is the job role?
We are currently looking for warm, positive, and dedicated individuals to work in our Adult Social Care day opportunities, providing person-centred support to adults with a variety of complex needs across Coventry City.
Brandon Wood Farm is a day opportunity for adults with a learning disabilities, located on the border of Coventry and Warwickshire. We have a small number of large and small breed animals that service users are supported to care for each day.
The farm also has several gardened areas that service users tend and grow vegetables, fruits and plants. We have some indoor groups that will require your imagination and planning skills. We support people that may not be able to access community activities due to their complex needs and behaviours that challenge.
Due to our unique setting, we are able to provide space and tranquility to people who are sensitive to sensory overload. Coventry City Council provides its staff with quality training and qualifications to enable you to carry out your role effectively and in line with its policies and procedures
This is a “hands-on” role in which no two days are the same. You will, therefore, need to be physically fit, enjoy working outdoors in all weathers, have a flexible, patient, and non-judgemental approach to your work, be able to use influencing skills, and able to demonstrate and adapt excellent communication skills.
The role is Monday to Friday. Days to be confirmed. Some flexibility will be required to cover mandatory training.
In return for your commitment, Coventry City Council offers a wide range of employee benefits, specialised training and will support you to develop within your role and plan your future career.
Interested? Please apply by using the online button below and completing an application form.
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Who are we looking for?
In further detail, your key duties and responsibilities will be to:
- Have practical skills and experience of working with people with autism and complex needs
- Ensure the rights of people who access our services are promoted at all times, ensuring that the principles of choice, control, dignity, respect, involvement, and empowerment are maintained.
- Ensure that the emotional wellbeing of the people we support is respected in all aspects of service delivery, wherever possible enabling them to assert responsibility for their own lives and obtain and act in accordance with the consent of the person in regard to their care and treatment.
- Help in creating opportunities and choices, so that each individual can achieve their desired outcomes
- Promote the physical, emotional, social, and intellectual wellbeing of the people we support including supporting people to access local facilities and opportunities.
- Meet the practical and personal care and support needs of the people who access the service (this may include practical support with their dietary and nutritional needs and hands-on care tasks where applicable).
- Assist and support with the administration of prescribed medicines in line with departmental policy and guidance complying with local protocols or instructions which ensure that a proper medication administration procedure is adhered to.
There are 2 post
18 hours per week over 3 days
32 hours per week over 5 days, fixed term for 18 months.
The salary advertised will be calculated on a pro-rata basis.
The hourly rate starts at £9.98 per hour, however, this is open to salary match opportunities.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Interview date(s): Wednesday 19th October 2022
Coventry has a proud, innovative and creative spirit that throughout its history has seen communities come together to tackle problems and bring about real social change.
We are cutting-edge, challenging, youthful, vibrant and diverse.
At Coventry we are committed to excellence in everything we do. With around 4800 staff from a range of different backgrounds, our aim is to recruit and develop talented people who will focus on our customers, take responsibility, work together and find better ways of doing things.
To deliver the best services to our residents, we need the best people working for us to make a difference to our communities.
If you join us, we will provide a fantastic rewards & benefits package which includes:
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Opportunity for Salary Match
- An outstanding local government pension scheme
- Great opportunities to develop with access to accredited courses.
- Access to an award-winning Occupational Health Service
- Salary Sacrifice Scheme
Coventry City Council