It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
About the team we are recruiting to
Coventry itself is a vibrant and multicultural city with a fascinating and inspiring story to tell. Having been awarded the City of Culture 2021 and with many other events upcoming, Coventry is an exciting place to be.
The War Memorial Park is Coventry's premier park and attracts around 400,000 visitors from all over the city and beyond every year. Many come to enjoy a casual visit, while others come to take part in some of the many special events that take place throughout the year.
Roughly 48.5 hectares in size, the park is made up of two areas, the formal garden with the War Memorial and the sports areas, with playing fields, footgolf course, Splash 'n' Play Park and play areas. There is also a 1.6 mile circular footpath around the park.
The War Memorial Park is now listed as a Grade II park by English Heritage and the War Memorial itself is listed as Grade II
You will be joining the Streetscene & Greenspace team as part of the War Memorial Park Services, we are a hard-working team responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the War Memorial Park, ensuring a welcoming place for both residents and visitors alike.
What is the job role?
As a Skilled Gardener you will be carrying out high quality gardening and grounds maintenance duties within the city's Premier War Memorial Park, Top Green Park & Spencer Park and the surrounding areas. You will also ensure a good visitor experience and to improve standards continually throughout the park sites.
Main duties of the role include:
- Organising and lead gardening & grounds maintenance activities throughout the parks
- Undertaking driving duties operating utility vehicles, small van and ride on grass cutting equipment. Comply with the Council's driving & telephony policy (while driving) and general road traffic legislation
- Operate tractors using a range of equipment/attachments, including trailers, verti-drain, topper mowers, flails & flail collector, rotovater and front-end loader
- Organising & directing the work of lower graded staff, utilising resources effectively. Resolve any minor issues/problems that are within your abilities
Full details can be found on the job description attached.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for someone who:
- Has the ability to operate a wide range of machinery/equipment
- Able to undertake routine maintenance of garden equipment
- Can follow verbal & written instructions, including plans for planting
- Numeracy and literacy skills to complete reports, undertake risk assessments
- Basic ICT skills required for using computers
- Customer care skills to liaise with the public
- Has the ability to work on own initiative with limited supervision.
Ideally, we are looking for someone who has a full UK driving licence. Being chainsaw operation certified and PA1 and PA6 trained is also desirable.
If you would like to have an informal conversation about this role, please contact Tim at email@example.com
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and it was the UK City of Culture 2021. We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons as you can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Opportunity for Salary Match and Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
- Lifestyle savings
- Salary Sacrifice Schemes; Car Scheme, Cycle to work and more
- Interest free travel loans
- Payroll giving scheme
- Workplace parking scheme
- Maternity, paternity and adoption Leave
- And much more
Coventry City Council