About the team we are recruiting to
Coventry is a city that is changing fast – and we’re looking for skilled people to join our team and help take us into a bright new future. We are a city that is going places - with an inspiring, world-famous history and exciting times ahead.
We’ve been awarded UK City of Culture 2021; home to award-winning universities, top level sport and concerts and famous brands such as Jaguar and Severn Trent. We are a part of the ‘Midlands-Engine’, the home of the UK motor industry and a proud multicultural city.
Major developments are taking shape around the city, including a new-look shopping centre, a water park, new business quarter, restaurants and a modernised rail station. More and more firms and families are relocating to our city as they see what we have to offer.
Coventry is a great place to live and work and it’s getting even better - and having the right infrastructure is vital.
That’s why we are looking for people who are passionate, dedicated people who, like us, are determined to make real, positive change to Coventry.
Headed by Chief Executive, Martin Reeves, the Council is committed to improving the quality of life for residents and making Coventry a top 10 city. We’re bringing in new, streamlined ways of working and making more use of technology to deliver services to the people who live and work in our city.
We have secured grant funding from the West Midlands Combined Authority and the Coventry and Warwickshire Local Enterprise Partnership to invest in the city centre to ensure we create a legacy for local people after the city has welcomed the world for its year as City of Culture in 2021.
Building on the work already competed, we will retain the best of the old alongside the best of the new.
Numerous changes have already taken place to transform Coventry's public spaces, with £57m invested in the city since 2011, and an estimated £10m+ by 2021. This has resulted in significant private sector investment in public realm schemes and commercial developments.
Works already taken place include:
- Cathedral Lanes turned into restaurant area (Wagamama, Las Iguanas, Cosy Club, The Botanist, Bistrot Pierre and MOD Pizza have occupied the space, with more to come).
- One Friargate building and the bridge deck demolition
- The Wave's construction - £36m water park, award-winning leisure offer
- Nationwide building demolition - opening the space into Broadgate and Hertford Street.
We have 887km of carriageways made up of 89km of A roads, 69km of B roads, 64km of C roads and 655km of Unclassified roads.
- 2161km of footways, footpaths and cycleways.
- 300 structures, including subways, retaining walls, culverts, gantries and rights of way structures.
- 33,000 street lighting columns, 4,000 lit traffic signs and beacons and 1,500 lit traffic bollards.
- 44,000 drainage gullies.
- 127 signal controlled junctions, 98 pedestrian crossings, and 115 school patrol flashing lights.
We know how hard our people work in our Highways, Traffic and Transportation Teams, and what it means to have a great manager who makes the time to say 'thank you'. So, with us, your work will always be appreciated and recognised.
We also know that to recruit passionate, dedicated staff in Highways, Traffic and Transportation where there’s simply more demand than available resource, we show our appreciation in other, more tangible ways, too - to make Coventry City Council an attractive place to work in terms of the benefits.
What is the job role?
You will be working for the Highways Operations & Development Department within Coventry City Council.
We are a direct labour organisation (DLO) working directly for Coventry City Council , you will be working as part of a successful team responsible for the construction and maintenance of footways, carriageways and drainage throughout the City.
The operatives main role will be physically demanding and they will be required to work along side the Gully Tanker, cleansing gully’s across the City.
Other duties will include being part of a team installing, maintaining and inspecting sewers, drainage systems including manholes, gullies and pipe work.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for the following:
- Knowledge of Health and Safety requirements when working on the Highway.
- Basic knowledge of the use of powered and hand tools.
- Experience of working within the Civil Engineering industry, Roadworks, Building and Construction work. (preferred)
- Able to work within a team environment as well as under your own initiative.
- Able to confidently and efficiently use hand held technology. (Tablets/IPads)
- Good organisational, communication and numeracy skills.
- Able to confidently and politely deal with members of the public.
- Willing to undertake training, when required.
- Able to work in inclement weather.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
All attachments for the job can be found here
Interview date: w/c 7th December 2020
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
For full details on the application process please read the attached document labelled Coventry CC Application process.
Coventry City Council