Service Manager Sport & Culture
About the team we are recruiting to
Coventry City Council is the 9th biggest city in England and has ambitious plans to grow its economy, reputation and quality of life, including by the delivery of the title UK City of Culture in 2021.
The Council’s Business Investment and Culture service has a remit for economic development, inward investment, sustainability, culture, sport, tourism and events. The team we are recruiting to is responsible for a range of functions, including:
- Delivery of festivals and major events
- Promotion of leisure and business tourism
- Operation of the convention bureau; and
- Management of the fourteenth century St Mary’s Guildhall.
It is a lively group of largely specialist officers with responsibility for strategy, funding and project delivery across its sections. It has recently expanded significantly, taking on new staff to develop and deliver activities stimulated by the title of UK City of Culture in 2021 and being a host of the Commonwealth Games in 2022.
What is the job role?
Coventry is an exciting place to be for culture and sport as we complete our sports transformation programme with new and improved assets, build on European City of Sport 2019 and look forward to our time as UK City of Culture 2021 and a host of the Commonwealth Games in 2022.
We are offering a 2 year fixed term opportunity covering this busy and important period; we know we will be making some changes to our services to deliver the legacy of these important events.
We are looking for a Service Manager committed to improving lives in our communities and the reputation of our city, underpinned by a thorough understanding of the changing policy context in Sport and Cultural services and able to think flexibly about how things are done.
Who are we looking for?
If you have a good foundation in commissioning, grants/contract management and are able to develop strong relationships with private, public and voluntary sectors which are based on a shared vision, you could be stepping into a rewarding role with no shortage of opportunities to shine.
Our services are high profile. We are a growing and energetic team with creative flair. At the same time we seek to be coherent and effective, informed by evidence and analysis, with strong governance and high standards of management practice.
If the idea of making a real difference through culture and sport motivates you, tell us..
- How you have achieved improved outcomes through culture and sport – you will need to set out how you have designed and delivered targeted interventions based on evidence of need, activities linked to growing economic impact and supporting other agendas, including tourism, inward investment and community capacity-building.
- Your experience of managing projects and programmes – including capital projects, grant programmes and externally funded schemes.
- How you have shown autonomy, taken responsibility, managed complexity and engaged stakeholders effectively.
- Your achievements in raising funds from commercial, statutory and charitable sources to support this agenda – the scale and diversity of funds raised, why you were successful and how the funding was used.
The above is what we want, now it is your turn to tell us what you can do....
Don't hesitate to apply and to ensure you are shortlisted, please include your examples of how you meet the above criteria and demonstrate you are, who we are looking for.
Working Hours: 37.0 Hours per Week
Fixed term contract until 31 August 2022.
Interview date: Tuesday 21 July 2020.
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
For full details on the application process please read the attached document labelled Coventry CC Application process.
Coventry City Council