Senior Practitioner, Mental Health
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
About the team we are recruiting to
Adult Social Care is part of the People Directorate within Coventry City Council. We have a simple vision and strategy that defines what we are trying to achieve, our purpose and our approach which underpin the principles of Adult Social Care, and we continue to work in support of this.
In a simple sense all our work, at whatever level should continue to support the strategy of: ‘Providing support, in the least intrusive manner possible, based on the assets, resources and abilities that are available to people’.
Adult Social Care encompasses a wide range of vital services covering;
- Commissioning Team – we commission and work with a number of providers, to ensure that people with care needs have access to a range of good quality support to enable them to live independent and fulfilling lives
- Social Work Services - we work with individuals who have care and support needs, and with their carers be they older or younger adults
- Occupational Therapy and Equipment Services - we aim to enhance people’s ability to live safely and independently in their home
- Internally Provided Services – we provide direct support to people enabling those in most need to live independent and fulfilled lives
- Business Systems and Continuous Improvement - we provide a range of services including Financial Assessments, provider payment processing and Business Systems administration. The Business Systems team provide support to Adult Social Care, Children’s Services and Education Services.
This is an exciting time to join us as we work to put adults and their carers at the heart of everything we do. Specifically, if you are social workers, occupational therapists or social care professionals who are committed to achieving the best outcomes for adults and their carers we will help you make a difference through manageable caseloads, high-quality professional support, supervision and guidance and excellent learning and development opportunities
What is the job role?
Looking for a new challenge? Then look no further!
This is an outstanding opportunity to join our Senior Adult Social Care Mental Health Team in Coventry.
We have created a really creative and new Senior Practitioner role who will embrace the ‘One Coventry’ culture and who will:
- Help develop Approved Mental Health Professional practice and development,
- Play an integral part in the introduction of the Liberty Protection Safeguards
- Have delegated responsibilities as part of the Mental Health Transformation Programme.
- Have a role with preparing children for adult mental health social care services
Coventry is a modern, growing, culturally and ethnically diverse City. The City has a worldwide reputation for Peace and Reconciliation. We are at the heart of the busy and industrial Midlands and yet surrounded by beautiful rural Warwickshire which is minutes away. Being well served by extensive road a rail networks, Coventry is easily accessed from most parts of the Country.
We are keen to recruit an Approved Mental Health Professional. You will practice as an AMHP, partake in our AMHP duty senior rota, support and mentor AMHP trainees, support our trainees on our AMHP induction programme and then through to formal Stage 1 and Stage 2 training.
In addition to being a practicing AMHP, you will be a qualified Best Interest Assessor under the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (or will train as an Approved Mental Capacity Professional) with a specific interest in the roll-out of the Liberty Protection Safeguards due to become operational in 2022. This will require you to have a leadership role within our Mental Health Teams and some delegated responsibilities across other Adult Social Care Teams. You will have detailed knowledge and experience of the Mental Capacity Act and of chairing Best Interest Meetings.
Your role will also include helping with monitoring transitions of Children into Adult Mental Health services and also some delegated activities with regard to the Transformation Programme for Mental Health over the next few years.
Keen to join the team?
If you feel you fit the criteria apply today! To find out further information and for an informal discussion please contact Simon McGarry or Julie Warner by email email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 07974 099084
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Who are we looking for?
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a Social Worker registered with Social Work England who has a passion for promoting independence and aiding recovery from the effects of disabling mental health disorders.
The successful candidate will have:
- Approved Mental Health Professional status
- Qualified as a Best Interest Assessor under DoLS (or willing to train as an Approved Mental Capacity Professional (training details pending)
- Have experience as a practice educator / mentor including supporting newly qualified Social Workers through the Assessed and Supported Year in Employment (ASYE) and trainee AMHPs at Stage 1 or 2
- Have excellent assessment skills
- Have detailed knowledge and experience of the application of The Care Programme Approach, MHA, MCA, The Care Act and Children’s Act
- Working knowledge of the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards and its replacement, The Liberty Protection Safeguards
- Have excellent risk assessment and management skill
- Organisation, recording and workload management skills
- Diplomacy, negotiating, listening skills.
- Be able to work in collaboration with users, carers and colleagues.
- To work as part of a team
- Have autonomy and decision-making skills
- Develop personal home treatment plans
- Good IT skills
- Have a vision for your own career development and future training
- Resilience, flexibility, and stamina
In return you will:
- Be welcomed in joining a highly professional and thoroughly hard working, friendly team
- Group and individual professional supervision from the General Manager / Team Manager within the teams
- Excellent in house and external training opportunities.
- Opportunities to experience and present at various professional forums including our Pre-Court Legal Panel and AMHP Forums
- Highly competitive salary with career development opportunities
Salary will be dependent on experience starting from £37,890 to £44,863 per annum.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Interview date: 19th August 2021
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a Council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
Coventry City Council