Senior Building Control Officer
In line with our One Coventry Values we strive to have a workforce that reflects our local communities and welcome applicants from all sections of the community. We particularly welcome applicants from minority ethnic backgrounds, applicants who have a disability and applicants who are from the LGBTQ+ community to apply for our senior leadership roles.
Our Values are:
- Open and fair: We are fair, open, and transparent.
- Nurture and develop: We help and encourage everyone to be their best and do their best.
- Engage and empower: We talk and listen to others, working together as one.
- Create and innovate: We embrace new ways of working to continuously improve.
- Own and be accountable: We work together to deliver the best services for our residents.
- Value and respect: We put diversity and inclusion at the heart of all we do.
About the team we are recruiting to
We value diverse perspectives and experiences and are striving to create a workplace culture that is inclusive, is accepting of all and is free from discrimination and bias.
We are looking to recruit a Senior Building Control Officer to join our team. We are seeking a positive, experienced, enthusiastic, talented and driven professional who cares about the development of our great city to join our busy, high performing, forward thinking team.
We are a team that deals with a wide range of building control projects, from domestic extensions and conversions to large-scale commercial and public developments. We pride ourselves on providing a high-quality, customer-focused, and cost-effective service that ensures the safety and quality of buildings in our area. We also work closely with other departments and agencies to promote sustainable development, energy efficiency, accessibility, and fire safety.
What is the job role?
This is a career progression graded role and progression will depend upon your experience and accreditation status with the Building Safety Regulator (BSR), however, we will also consider applications from candidates who want to progress in this area of work.
As a Senior Building Control Officer, you will help contribute to the delivery of our Building Control service through undertaking site inspections, liaising with clients and assessing developments against Building Regulations, associated legislation, Government guidance and Council policies.
Depending on your BSR accreditation status, you will process and assess a range of Building Control applications to ensure compliance with the above whilst all the time ensuring you accurately document and record information and issue decisions in a timely manner.
You will help play an important role in protecting the safety of the public by responding to notifications of dangerous and dilapidated structures and making sure appropriate action is taken to remove any danger.
You will have the opportunity to contribute to the development and improvement of the Building Control service, implementing best practices and innovative solutions.
You will be acting as a technical advisor on Building Control matters and be responsible for technical and legal compliance with the Building Acts, Building Regulations and other associated legislation commensurate with your BSR accreditation.
Although this post is being advertised as a full time role, we are a flexible employer and will consider applications from candidates who would prefer to work part time or more flexibly.
Who are we looking for?
To be successful in this role, you will need to have:
- An ONC, OND or BTEC in a building related subject; or
- A professional qualification by one of the Chartered Institutions - RIBA, IStruct E, CIOB, with a specialism in Building Control; or,
- CIOB Public Service Building Control Surveying Diploma, Level 4 or Level 5; or,
- Full corporate membership of RICS or ABEng or be working towards at an advanced level; or,
- At least three years of working within a Building Regulations environment.
- In addition, you must already be validated to or working towards validation as a Building Safety Regulator Class 2 (A) Domestic Building Inspector.
- You will need to have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to work under pressure and prioritise your workload.
- You will also need to have a valid driving licence and access to a vehicle, as you will be required to travel to various sites across the city.
To progress to Grade 9, you must meet all of the above criteria AND in addition, hold and be accredited to the following standard:
- Building Safety Regulator (BSR) Class 2 (B) General registration.
If you would like to have an informal discussion about the position, please speak to Kate Rich, Building Control Manager on 02476 978538 or email Kate.Rich@coventry.gov.uk
If you need help or support to complete your application, please visit our accessibility page to see how we can assist you.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Interview date: 14th March 2024
Coventry has a proud, innovative and creative spirit that throughout its history has seen communities come together to tackle problems and bring about real social change.
We are cutting-edge, challenging, youthful, vibrant and diverse.
At Coventry we are committed to excellence in everything we do. With around 5100 staff from a range of different backgrounds, our aim is to recruit and develop talented people who will focus on our customers, take responsibility, work together and find better ways of doing things.
To deliver the best services to our residents, we need the best people working for us to make a difference to our communities.
If you join us, we will provide a fantastic rewards and benefits package - to find out more please visit https://www.coventry.gov.uk/council-vacancies
Coventry City Council