Mental Health Social Worker - Migration Team.
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
About the team we are recruiting to
We value diverse perspectives and experiences and are striving to create a workplace culture that is inclusive, is accepting of all and is free from discrimination and bias.
We have a simple vision and strategy that defines what we are trying to achieve, our purpose and our approach which underpin the principles of Adult Social Care, and we continue to work in support of this.
In a simple sense all our work, at whatever level should continue to support the strategy of: ‘Providing support, in the least intrusive manner possible, based on the assets, resources and abilities that are available to people’.
What is the job role?
Coventry City Council’s Migration Team is an innovative and dynamic team that is focused on meeting the needs of newly arriving communities in the city and supporting integration.
The team works with internal and diverse external partners to deliver projects and other interventions based on our migrant needs assessment and other evidence related to the barriers faced by new migrants.
Coventry was one of the first cities to welcome Syrian refugees in 2014, and the team leads a partnership in delivering a resettlement programme welcoming some of the most vulnerable individuals fleeing conflict and persecution from Syria, The Middle East and Ukraine. Work is centred on enabling refugees to make Coventry their new home, living with dignity and respect as well as contributing positively to our vibrant and growing city.
Many of our new arrivals are living with mental health problems including Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Anxiety and Depression and other disorders requiring skilled interventions.
We require a Social Worker to develop the skill base within the team and to help people address the social determinants affecting daily living.
We are looking for a highly motivated Qualified Social Worker with a broad range of experience to work across Adult Social Care and Mental Health Services
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Who are we looking for?
The successful candidate will:
- Have excellent assessment and communication skills when working with individuals and communities
- Help manage a caseload of asylum seekers supported under s.95 and s.4 of the Asylum and Immigration Act 1999.
- Providing information and guidance on how to access mainstream service
- Working knowledge of and application of Mental Health Act, Mental Capacity Act, The Care Act and Children’s Act
- A working knowledge of the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards.
- Excellent risk assessment and management skills
- Organisation, recording and workload management skills
- Diplomacy, negotiating, listening skills.
- Be able to work in collaboration with users, carers and colleagues.
- To work as part of a team
- Have autonomy and decision-making skills
- Develop personal home treatment plans
- Good IT skills
- Have a vision for your own career development and future training
- Resilience, flexibility, stamina and a great sense of humour!
In return you will benefit from:
- Be welcomed in joining a highly professional and thoroughly hard working, friendly team
- Group and individual professional supervision from a Senior Practitioner from our Mental Health Team and day to day supervision from the Migration Team Manager.
- Excellent in house and external training opportunities.
- Opportunities to experience and present at various professional forums including our Pre-Court Legal Panel and AMHP Forums
- Highly competitive salary with career development opportunities
Keen to join the team? If you feel you meet the criteria then apply today! To find out further information and for an informal discussion please contact Simon McGarry or Sunairi Miraj by email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 07974 099084 / 024 7697 6256
For full details on the application process please read the attached document labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Interview date(s): tbc
Coventry has a proud, innovative and creative spirit that throughout its history has seen communities come together to tackle problems and bring about real social change.
We are cutting-edge, challenging, youthful, vibrant and diverse.
At Coventry we are committed to excellence in everything we do. With around 4800 staff from a range of different backgrounds, our aim is to recruit and develop talented people who will focus on our customers, take responsibility, work together and find better ways of doing things.
To deliver the best services to our residents, we need the best people working for us to make a difference to our communities.
If you join us, we will provide a fantastic rewards and benefits package - to find out more please visit https://www.coventry.gov.uk/council-vacancies
Coventry City Council