Housing and Homelessness Lead - People
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
About the team we are recruiting to
The Housing and Homelessness Service is a very busy environment and faces several challenges to meet the housing needs of citizens of Coventry. The team has grown significantly during the last 12 months, and this reflects the fact that Housing & Homelessness are now a key council priority.
The Housing & Homelessness Service won the Large Team of the year at the prestigious LGC (Local Government Chronicle) awards in 2022 and this reflects the changes that have been implemented over the last 3 years. However, there is still lots to do to build on this and continue to improve our services for people in housing need at a time of unprecedented demand.
The Housing & Homelessness Service includes a number of distinct teams with 3 operational leads, as well as a Housing Strategy function.
- Front-line statutory Homeless Service and Allocations
- Temporary Accommodation and access to the Private Rented Sector
- Commissioning, Rough Sleeping and partnerships
What is the job role?
As a Housing and Homelessness Lead, your team will be responsible for the delivery of the statutory Homeless & Allocations service. In this fast-paced service area, you will need to be creative, adaptable, and hardworking in order to ensure there is a focus on preventing homelessness and providing excellent services to our customers.
The main duties of this role include:
- Operational management and responsibility for the front-line homelessness assessment process
- Operational management and responsibility for Coventry Homefinder (Coventry’s Choice Based Lettings Scheme)
- Direct line management responsibility for 3 operational managers
- Reporting to the Head of Housing & Homelessness as part of a management team of 3 Leads with different areas of responsibility
- Representing the service at Strategic meetings and deputising for the Head of Service when required
- Budgetary and data management are also key responsibilities for the successful candidate
For more information, please read the job description attached.
Who are we looking for?
Previous experience of managing Homeless and/or Housing Allocations services is essential.
Since April, the Housing & Homelessness Service has been delivered remotely and this will continue in line with current government guidance. However, there is a expectation that the successful candidate will be in the office 2/3 days a week.
For an information conversation to discuss the role please contact Jim Crawshaw. Email, Jim.Crawshaw@coventry.gov.uk or telephone 02476978258
Candidates who have been shortlisted will be invited to interviews on week commencing 17th October.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Coventry has a proud, innovative and creative spirit that throughout its history has seen communities come together to tackle problems and bring about real social change.
We are cutting-edge, challenging, youthful, vibrant and diverse.
At Coventry we are committed to excellence in everything we do. With around 4800 staff from a range of different backgrounds, our aim is to recruit and develop talented people who will focus on our customers, take responsibility, work together and find better ways of doing things.
To deliver the best services to our residents, we need the best people working for us to make a difference to our communities.
If you join us, we will provide a fantastic rewards & benefits package which includes:
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Opportunity for Salary Match
- An outstanding local government pension scheme
- Great opportunities to develop with access to accredited courses.
- Access to an award-winning Occupational Health Service
- Salary Sacrifice Scheme
Coventry City Council