Head of Planning Policy and Environment
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
About the team we are recruiting to
Would you like to plan the next chapter for Coventry?
The City of Coventry is an exciting place to be. One of the fastest growing cities in Europe with a young, dynamic population, investment and change is all around. The Planning Service leads the transformation of the city – there’s no better place to work as a town planner.
Our Planning Policy and Environment service is fundamental to supporting the sustainable growth of our city and the Head of Planning Policy and Environment will play a key role in enabling that growth. With responsibility for a new Local Plan in addition to a broad range of services including urban design, conservation, environmental protection and ecology this really is an opportunity to make a difference.
The vision and commitment of the Planning Policy and Environment teams ensure a robust platform to guide the delivery of sustainable development making provision for local people through the delivery of housing, jobs, retail and community uses whilst creating high quality urban and natural environments.
Planning Policy and Environment sits alongside Development Management within our Planning Service. We’re a friendly and forward-thinking service with a can-do approach who are always striving to improve. We recognise the importance of developing a strong, robust and resilient team through learning and development.
What is the job role?
As Head of Policy and Environment you will provide strong professional leadership to ensure the delivery of a quality customer focused service that contributes to the achievement of the City Council’s vision and objectives for a growing and sustainable city. You will be responsible for the day to day management of Planning Policy and Environment. Working closely with the Head of Development Management you will take the lead on providing considered and professional advice on technical service related matters to enable development, growth, enforcement and regulation within the City of Coventry.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- To be responsible for the development and review of all planning policies to ensure they are relevant, up to date, fit for purpose and cost effective. Ensuring all legislative changes are incorporated and disseminated in a timely manner.
- To lead and develop the following services: Planning Policy, Environmental Protection, Urban Design, Conservation, Archaeology, Biodiversity and Ecology.
- To ensure leadership, development and operation of the service through effective cross-divisional and corporate working and contribution to the strategic delivery of the division and the corporate activities of the city.
Please refer to the Job Description attached for more duties and responsibilities as Head of Policy and Environment.
Who are we looking for?
If you are an experienced manager of planning services with capability of working at a senior level within a political environment, we want to hear from you.
You will be a forward thinking and innovative individual, educated to degree level or higher in Planning (or other relevant discipline) and a member of the RTPI (or equivalent). You will preferably have a management or leadership skills qualification.
To apply for this role you will be asked to create a system generated CV with a personal statement demonstrating your experience meeting the requirements of the person specification attached. Please use your personal statement to specifically focus on the following key points:
- Extensive experience of working in a political environment
- A record of successfully managing a planning or environmental service that delivers high performance and good customer care
- Providing advice on service issues that take account of the technical and political implications
Please see attached Job Description & Person Specification for further details on this role. To discuss this opportunity and for more information please contact Rob Back our Strategic Lead for Planning – email@example.com
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Interview date(s): Week commencing 2nd January
Coventry has a proud, innovative and creative spirit that throughout its history has seen communities come together to tackle problems and bring about real social change.
We are cutting-edge, challenging, youthful, vibrant and diverse.
At Coventry we are committed to excellence in everything we do. With around 4800 staff from a range of different backgrounds, our aim is to recruit and develop talented people who will focus on our customers, take responsibility, work together and find better ways of doing things.
To deliver the best services to our residents, we need the best people working for us to make a difference to our communities.
If you join us, we will provide a fantastic rewards & benefits package which includes:
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Opportunity for Salary Match
- An outstanding local government pension scheme
- Great opportunities to develop with access to accredited courses.
- Access to an award-winning Occupational Health Service
- Salary Sacrifice Scheme
Coventry City Council