Head of Planning Policy and Environment
About the team we are recruiting to
Planning Policy and Environment is a service area within Coventry City Council which supports the growth of the city.
The vision and commitment of the Planning Policy and Environment team ensures there is a robust platform to guide the delivery of sustainable development making provision for local people through the delivery of housing, jobs, retail and community uses whilst creating high quality urban and natural environments.
The service area sits within a larger team alongside Development Management, Building Control and Regulatory Services and encompasses a number of individual but related specialisms all focussed on delivering a city for those wishing to live and work here. Those specialisms include Planning, Ecology, Trees and Landscape, Urban Design, Conservation, Archaeology and Environmental Protection.
What is the job role?
As Head of Policy and Environment you will provide strong professional leadership to ensure the delivery of a quality customer focused service that contributes to the achievement of the City Council’s vision and objectives for a growing and sustainable city. You will be responsible for the day to day management of Planning Policy and Environment. Working closely with the Head of Development Management you will take the lead on providing considered and professional advice on technical service related matters to enable development, growth, enforcement and regulation within the City of Coventry.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Ensure the efficient, effective and timely consideration of all applications and all related matters as required by legislation and in accordance with the Council’s policies, practices and procedures to meet national and local targets.
- To be responsible for the development and review of all policies and procedures relating to development, strategic policy and enforcement to ensure they are relevant, up to date, fit for purpose and cost effective. Ensuring all legislative changes are incorporated and disseminated in a timely manner.
- To ensure leadership, development and operation of the service through effective cross-divisional and corporate working and contribution to the strategic delivery of the division and the corporate activities of the city.
Please refer to the Job Description attached for more duties and responsibilities as Head of Policy and Environment.
Who are we looking for?
If you are an experienced Planning Manager with experience of working within a Political Environment, we want to hear from you.
You will be a forward thinking and innovative individual, educated to degree level or higher in Planning and a member of the RTPI. You will preferably have a management or leadership skills qualification. Experience of working in a political environment with a record of successfully managing a planning and environment service that delivers high performance and good customer care. Partnership working and delivery of strategic policy is key to the success in this role.
To apply for this role you will be asked to create a system generated CV with a personal statement demonstrating your experience meeting the requirements of the person specification attached. Please use your personal statement to specifically focus on the following key points:
- Extensive experience of working in a political environment
- A record of successfully managing a planning and environment service that delivers high performance and good customer care
- Providing advice on service issues that take account of the technical and political implications
Please see attached Job Description & Person Specification for further details on this role. To discuss this opportunity and for more information please contact our Head of Planning Policy and Environment - Mark Andrews at firstname.lastname@example.org
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
All attachments for the job can be found here
Interview date(s): w/c 22.06.2020
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
For full details on the application process please read the attached document labelled Coventry CC Application process.
Coventry City Council