What is the job role?
Are you Ready for the Next Steps?
Coventry City Council’s fostering service are recruiting people to join a small team of dedicated foster carers. Fostering on the Next Steps scheme means you will provide care and support for one of Coventry’s most vulnerable children and young people in your home.
Through the adoption of a therapeutic approach on a 1:1 basis, children and young people on the scheme can receive a level of nurture and support to help them to take their next steps onto positive pathways.
Foster carers on the scheme will join our small, dedicated team, with bespoke training and support packages as well as 1:1 and peer group reflection
To be eligible to be assessed for the scheme you should be able to demonstrate:
- At least 2 years’ experience of caring for or working with young people with behaviours that may challenge you
- No other under 18-year olds living with you
- One carer in the household will be home based (recognition of this is reflected in the financial package)
- Insight and understanding about trauma, abuse, neglect and potentially of autism and/or mental health issues
- With our support and training, the ability to manage and support a young person who is likely, due to their experiences, to display behaviours that may challenge you, in your home
- Ability to work positively as part of a wider team of professionals
- Adaptability and willingness to learn and implement new approaches
- High level of empathy
- Commitment and motivation to care for a young person who might have had multiple care arrangement breakdowns
In return the scheme offers:
- Full initial and ongoing training, personalised to your needs
- Dedicated support from a senior social worker and our wider team
- Access to our 24/7 emergency telephone support service provided by our team
- To recognise the commitment required for this scheme, a financial package of around £48K per annum (including costs for caring for the young person) is offered.
To find out more and to register your interest follow the link https://www.coventry.gov.uk/nextsteps.
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Coventry City Council