Family Group Conference Coordinator
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
About the team we are recruiting to
Coventry Children’s Services are embarking on an exciting journey to deliver support to families and children differently. Coventry have secured a £4m grant from the Government’s Strengthening Families, Protecting Children (SFPC) programme which will allow a focus on working with families through building better relationships with families and children.
What Is The Family Valued Programme?
Family Valued Strengthening Families is a Leeds City Council system change programme designed to spread restorative practice across children’s services. A key element is the focus on Strengthening Families through Relationship Based Practice. There is a desire to empower and enable families to find solutions, to build their own networks and for families to make changes, build resilience and most of all to remain together. The programme demonstrates through building of relationships with professionals who support and guide through this process, families can and do achieve this.
Family Valued Strengthening Families has a significant focus on Family Group Conferencing (FGC). FGC team will be expanded to ensure families at the earliest opportunity are able to consider family support and family plans to prevent the need for an escalation in Children’s Services. The Leeds Family Valued Strengthen Families approach reflects the One Coventry values, where children are at the centre of practice.
Why Coventry Children’s Services?
Coventry is passionate about creating something special, where families are valued, where risks are managed with the family, and where families are empowered and enabled to do it differently. We believe that families are the experts into their own lives, and we want to embrace this and create change through this; by taking the lead in their plans, in their support package and in decision making. Leaving children services having to only intervene where there are no other options.
Coventry Children’s Services is on a journey to do better and is committed to achieving this. Working with Leeds Local Authority will enhance the pace of change and further achieve the best possible outcomes for children, young people and families in the city. We want to pride ourselves on building relationships with families and partners and hold respectful, non-discriminatory, unbiased and non-judgemental practice at the centre of all we do.
Children’s services have acquired some excellent feedback and compliments from families about the services they receive, but we know we can do even better! Building a service based on relationship and restorative based practice in line with our Signs of Safety methodology and the family valued model enables children services to only intervene when it has to, enabling the opportunity for the family to have more control.
What is the job role?
This is an exciting opportunity to support families in making safe decisions and plans for their children within the context of a Family Group Conference. This is a key and proven way of strengthening family involvement and relational ways of working to achieve best outcomes for children when families are experiencing significant problems in their lives.
As a Family Group Conference Coordinator, you will facilitate the Family Group Conference, bringing together children’s support networks of family members and friends to find safe solutions. You will liaise with and establish effective working relationships with other agencies, departments, the independent sector and providers, in order to engage the best support for families.
You will need to be experienced in working with Children and Families, able to work independently, and be committed to the empowerment of families.
You will facilitate and deliver Family Group Conferences in accordance with the identified policies, practice standards and aims of the Family Group Conference Service; promote and develop Coventry’s Family Group Conference service within a framework of equality of opportunity that responds appropriately to the needs of individual families from diverse backgrounds.
We currently have 3 x full time 37 hour posts and 1 x part time 18.5 hour post available.
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Who are we looking for?
To be successful in this role you will need the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- A professional relevant qualification and proven experience working with children and families in the field of social work, childcare, education, or child health;
- Educated to first-degree level and /or relevant qualification in relevant field;
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the principles and processes of Family Group Conferencing and of relational practice with families including solution focussed and strength-based practice;
- Ability to promote and facilitate the participation of children and their families, ensuring their views and needs are central to service delivery and outcomes.
- Knowledge of legislation, policy, guidance and research in relation to all aspects of work with children and their families; detailed knowledge of guidance with particular reference to child protection; children looked after and care planning;
- Knowledge of national strategies and frameworks for the provision of children's services for safeguarding children and improving the life chances of children; Knowledge of the impact of poverty, oppression and discrimination on families.
- Ability to take a neutral role whilst relating well to children, young people and their families - to mediate, negotiate and promote family-based problem solving;
- Have effective communication and active listening skills; the ability to work creatively and flexibly and communicate effectively at all levels with a range of individuals, in a variety of different manners, on complex or legal issues;
- Ability to co-ordinate, facilitate and chair complex meetings.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Interview date: Week commencing 11th October
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
Coventry City Council