Estates Assistant - Coombe Abbey Park
About the team we are recruiting to
Coombe has won many awards for its quality and excellence in management, conservation, visitor experience and education including SSSI status for 40 years, Green Flag (parks and green spaces excellence award), Visit England's Visitor Attraction Quality Scheme and Natural England's Country Park accreditation and the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence in 2018, for consistently high ratings in our customer reviews.
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
What is the job role?
We are looking for someone to join our team as an Estate Assistant to support the maintenance of Coombe Abbey Park by undertaking various grounds maintenance, cleansing and retail activities on site. In your role you will be ensuring a good visitor experience and will be assisting with improving standards and the continuous development of the site.
The main day to day duties of the role include:
- Patrol the park ensuring that visitors are able to fully enjoy its facilities.
- Carry out routine maintenance including clearing litter, cleaning, basic horticultural tasks such as pruning leaf, clearing and path edging.
- Actively promote Coombe's facilities through face to face interaction. Encouraging positive involvement with the site including providing information on things to do see and how to get involved in activities and events.
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Who are we looking for?
To apply for this role you must have a full UK driving license or have had ATV training and be available to work weekends on a rota basis.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Knowledge of basic maintenance and horticultural operations.
- Verbal communication skills - communicating with the general public, outside organisations and other employees, face to face and over the telephone.
- Able and willing to carry out routine cleaning work of Coombe's facilities.
- Able to lift and carry materials and resources.
- Experience of safe use of a variety of tools, e.g. strimmer, hedge cutter, bill hook, bowsaw, etc.
We need someone who is able and willing to work outside for long periods of time. In this role you may be asked to work bank holidays, weekends and for special events.
When applying for this role you will be asked to write a personal statement, when writing your personal statement please include the following:
- An example of how you are customer focused
- How you are able to work as part of a team, please give an example
- Where you have had to have a good eye/ attention for detail
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
All attachments for the job can be found here
Interview date(s): 8/12/2020
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
Coventry City Council