Digital Engagement and Development Advisor
About the team we are recruiting to
Coventry City Council’s ICT & Digital service is a busy, vibrant and innovative service responsible for delivering key enabling and transformational services for the wider organisation, city and external partners.
In a nutshell we provide the organisation with the digital technology, be that laptops or systems, to enable people to do their jobs in a modern and efficient way. We support over 5500 corporate users and their PC’s, roughly 400 servers (the machines that run our corporate systems), roughly 300 systems and all the relevant infrastructure components that make all the above work and remain secure. In addition to this we offer ICT support services to a significant number of school staff.
Our work spreads beyond the Council and to the wider City and region through our Digital Coventry strategy. This is a strategy which looks outside of the organisation and to how Digital technology and innovation promotes Coventry as a place to live, learn, work, innovate and do business. This strategy is directly linked with the Council Plan and supports many of the vision statements aligned with “Globally connected”, “Locally committed” and “Delivering our priorities”.
If you think Digital and local government might be a bit “old school”, think again. Innovation is at the heart of everything we do and, as a service, we are currently working on programmes of activity which include 5G, Artificial Intelligence, Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, ChatBots, Process Automation, Connected Autonomous Vehicles…..the list goes on.
We are part of the national LocalGov Digital movement that has the aim to aid the delivery of better, cheaper local services by councils across the country, through the re-design of services around the capabilities the internet and digital technology provide.
What is the job role?
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an additional Digital Engagement and Development Advisor to join the ICT Business Engagement Team, who will help support the Digital Skills agenda to ensure the effective delivery of the Council’s Workforce Strategy, Digital Coventry and Digital Skills Strategy working towards a Digital engaged organisation.
You will lead and support with digital upskilling of the workforce and embed a digital by design approach, supporting both behavioural and cultural change. Supporting them to develop the skills and confidence they need to use digital technology effectively and safely.
You will be adept at translating IT technical concepts into terms that everyone can understand.
You will be responsible for setting clear points of evaluation and be able to evidence improvements in employee digital skills.
You will also be responsible for building, maintaining close relationships and working with services to help them identify service improvements, support with their business strategies/plans that could be made through better use of digital technology.
As well as working collaboratively with business users and other parts of the ICT & Digital function this post will identify opportunities for improving processes, capture of business requirements and assessment of potential benefits of digital innovation.
You will act as the face of the ICT and Digital and maintain strong customer relationships, leading and influencing a cohort of Digiknow Agents to help assist with embedding new digital tools across the organisation.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, committed and confident person to join our team.
You’re organised, methodical, creative and passionate about working as part of a team to deliver great digital projects
The right person for the role will be outgoing and self-motivated with a desire to progress themselves personally.
If you like the idea of making a difference and helping to reshape the way the Council works then this may be the post for you.
Who are we looking for?
In order to be successful in this role you will need the following skills, knowledge, and experience;
• Understanding and application of a range of learning and development tools, techniques and methodologies.
• Knowledge of Office365 and digital solutions utilised by Coventry City Council.
• A good level of confidence and ability in digital skills.
• Embracing change – keeping up with the pace of IT, innovative, bringing new ideas to the team.
• Understand the benefits of a digital by design approach to service delivery.
• Knowledge of the wider challenges currently facing local government and digital challenges associated with this.
• Ability to plan and prioritise effectively, to use your own initiative and balance competing and conflicting demands from various stakeholders.
• Ability to analyse information and formulate a range of proposed digital solutions, with amazing attention for detail.
• Not afraid to get to grips with technical aspects of a project to ensure we delivery exactly what the customer is looking for.
• A confident communicator with top-notch presentation skills; both verbal and written and encourages the sharing of views, listens, reflects, and remains open to new ways of working.
• Good communication and negotiation skills to manage customer expectations.
• Understanding different communication channels, communicating with clarity, warmth and professionalism.
• You will be adept at translating IT design and development concepts into terms that a range of audience’s front-line staff to Elected Member can understand. (plain English)
• You will act as the face of the ICT Business Engagement Team and maintain strong relationships.
• Ability to provide constructive feedback, challenge thinking and influence outcomes to support a culture of continuous improvement.
• Strong interpersonal skills, approachable and flexible. Takes positive action and fully utilises the diverse skills, strengths and contributions of teams, networks and partners. (internally and externally)
• Ability to influence others across and at all levels of the organisation.
• Customer engagement, to have empathy and patience when resolving customers issues and to understand what they need.
• Able to motivate and inspire your colleagues
This advert will close as soon as sufficient applications are received. Therefore, you are strongly advised to complete and return your application as soon as possible.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
All attachments for the job can be found here
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
Coventry City Council