About the team we are recruiting to
The Education Entitlement Service (EES) strives to deliver outstanding services for our customers, predominately the children of Coventry, who may be requiring access to education or alternative education provision. We ensure vulnerable children are appropriately supported; have a voice, that hopefully leads to their high achievement and excellent progress.
The EES is made up of a diverse range of teams all working together to recognise, support and apply innovative solutions to address the growing issues in relation to trying to educate some of our most vulnerable pupils in schools.
The Coventry Extended Learning Centre (ELC) is a pupil referral unit for Key Stage 3 & 4 pupils who have struggled to access mainstream school education owing to a number of differing factors including exclusion. Our dedicated staff work to re-engage young people who commonly arrive with negative views of education, of their own prospects and of themselves. We build trust to enable them to stretch themselves and achieve their maximum potential.
What is the job role?
The core purpose of Coventry ELC is ‘Enhancing Futures’ - maximising the potential of all our students. We seek to identify and meet our students’ needs to enable us to reintegrate them into mainstream school or into special educational settings or to support them to successfully complete Year 11 with us. We take huge pride and pleasure in helping young people to believe in themselves and others, moving on to a brighter future.
Our dedicated staff are fully committed to equipping our students with the knowledge and skills they need to lead fulfilled and happy lives. We have high expectations of the behaviour and performance of every pupil and foster an atmosphere of mutual respect between pupils and staff. We pride ourselves on providing the best quality teaching and pastoral care, fostering ambition and showing our students that through hard work they can fulfil their potential.
Coventry ELC is looking for a dynamic Cover Supervisor to join our dedicated and solution-focused team. The role is stimulating, engaging and extremely rewarding.
- To deliver lessons / sessions in the absence of teachers and work with curriculum staff as directed.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To deliver lessons / sessions as directed (beyond simply supervising a class).
- To establish communication with the appropriate teacher/s to ensure continuity of learning.
- To maintain good order and discipline amongst students in line with the Behaviour Policy to ensure a positive and productive learning environment.
- To plan and deliver appropriate learning activities when covering long-term absences, with direction from teaching staff and following schemes of work where necessary.
- Promote student independence in learning and the development of social skills, reinforcing students' self-esteem through praise and encouragement, setting challenging and demanding expectations and promoting independence.
- Act as Key Worker to identified students, taking a lead role in their support and progress.
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a solution-focused, resilient and energetic individual to join a caring and passionate team. Full details of the post requirements can be found on the Job Description & Person Specification.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
All attachments for the job can be found here
Interview date: 15th July 2020
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city - Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
Coventry City Council