Commercial Gas Engineer
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
About the team we are recruiting to
We value diverse perspectives and experiences and are striving to create a workplace culture that is inclusive, is accepting of all and is free from discrimination and bias.
R&M is a service area within Coventry City Council which provides repair and maintenance services to Coventry City’s operational, commercial and school portfolio. We have a dedicated team with over 30 years’ experience of completing emergency and responsive repairs, planned preventative maintenance schedules and property improvements and refurbishments.
The R&M team is multi-disciplined providing building works, refurbishments, general maintenance, gas servicing, maintenance and installations, electrical works and a 24 hour a day, 365 days a year emergency call out service across all trades.
The service area aims to:
- Ensure that the all statutory compliance with industry standards, British standards and relevant Approved Codes of Practice are achieved.
- Repairs are carried out swiftly and to a high standard
- Projects are delivered on time and on budget
We are seeking positive, experienced, enthusiastic, talented and driven professionals who care about the development of our great city to join our busy, top performing, forward thinking Regulation services.
What is the job role?
This is an exciting time for you to join our team. In this role, you will be expected to provide a site-based, practical solution to a variety of building services related customer needs including, planned maintenance, reactive repairs and minor works. You will work under the direction of the Facilities Manager to ensure that all tasks are completed on time and to budget to a high standard.
The main duties and responsibilities of this role include:
- Responsible for carrying out all work in compliance with industry standards, British standards and applying all relevant Approved Codes of Practice.
- Carry out planned maintenance and reactive repairs effectively and efficiently within target timescales given.
- Install new heating installations / improvements
- Responsible for ensuring that all work issued is completed by due date and reporting full details of exceptions including liaison with customers.
- Work can be in a variety of industries including schools, residential and commercial.
This post is exempt from the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Who are we looking for?
The successful candidate must have excellent communication skills as well as the ability to comprehend written instructions. Previous work experience in a reactive repair gas/combustion environment would be beneficial.
A full UK driving licence and recognised qualifications are essential.
Qualifications and experience required include -
- Approved City and Guilds/CITB/ACS qualifications in both Domestic and Commercial aspects of the industry.
- Commercial Gas / (Safety) qualifications.
- Unvented hot water experience.
- Experience and knowledge of water hygiene / legionella regulations
We can offer:
- Up to £41,496 pa
- Stand-by allowance - £30 per shift, 9 shifts per week (2 per day Sat/Sun)
- Out of hours call out rate - Minimum 2hrs per call at flat hourly rate then time and a half for every hour after that (per day)
- Tool Allowance - £36.37 per month
- Van with home to work use & fuel card
- Generous local government pension scheme
- Training opportunities
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Coventry has a proud, innovative and creative spirit that throughout its history has seen communities come together to tackle problems and bring about real social change.
We are cutting-edge, challenging, youthful, vibrant and diverse.
At Coventry we are committed to excellence in everything we do. With around 4800 staff from a range of different backgrounds, our aim is to recruit and develop talented people who will focus on our customers, take responsibility, work together and find better ways of doing things.
To deliver the best services to our residents, we need the best people working for us to make a difference to our communities.
If you join us, we will provide a fantastic rewards and benefits package - to find out more please visit https://www.coventry.gov.uk/council-vacancies
Coventry City Council