Apprenticeship, Work Experience and Early Careers Officer
About the team we are recruiting to
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a perspective employee it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
If you share our values, we’d encourage you to read our advert.
Coventry City Council’s Organisational Development (OD) Team sits within Human Resources (HR) and focuses on people, process and performance to deliver organisational transformation and cultural change through a range of organisational interventions. We’re a high performing team who are leading on a number of key priorities across the organisation; Employee Engagement, Values & Culture, Diversity & Inclusion, Talent Development and Corporate Learning & Development.
The OD team are also responsible for delivering the Council’s Apprenticeship Strategy which includes:
- Widening participation by targeting and engaging with priority and under-represented groups.
- Increasing the number and quality of apprenticeship opportunities within the Council.
- Embedding apprenticeships across the organisation and developing career pathways.
- Effectively utilising the Apprenticeship Levy to upskill our current workforce.
What is the job role?
The Apprenticeship, Work Experience & Early Careers Officer will support the delivery of the Council’s Apprenticeship Strategy.
Key areas of work will include:
- Managing a large caseload of apprentices, supporting the apprentice throughout the apprenticeship lifecycle to ensure a positive destination.
- Pro-actively engaging with priority and under-represented groups to identify and remove barriers to work towards our aim of having a workforce representative of the communities we serve.
- Engaging with service areas to identify apprenticeship opportunities and create career pathways.
- Liaising with training providers to monitor apprentice progress and quality of training.
- Designing and delivering development sessions as part of the apprenticeship training programme.
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for individuals who:
- Have an understanding of apprenticeships and training programmes.
- Are able to provide excellent support to meet the diverse needs of our apprentices.
- Are passionate about developing people and enabling them to fulfil their potential.
- Have an awareness of the barriers to employment faced by under-represented groups.
- Are self-starters, able to use their initiative to identify problems and propose solutions.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively influence and negotiate.
- Are highly organised, able to manage their time effectively.
We are actively encouraging applicants from under-represented groups including people from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds, those with disabilities and the LGBT+ community.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
All attachments for the job can be found here
Interview dates: 3rd and 4th February 2021
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
Coventry City Council