About the team we are recruiting to
Development Management is a team within the Planning service area in Coventry City Council which supports the growth of the city and manages development from inception to delivery.
As a high performing planning department, we deal with a wide range of applications. We are a dynamic and forward thinking team with a can-do approach and are always striving to improve our service. We recognise the importance of developing a strong, robust and resilient team through learning and development. The Enforcement team sits within the wider Development Management team and strives to proactively manage and monitor development in the city to ensure compliance is achieved.
Alongside Development Management within the Planning service area is the Planning Policy and Environment team which encompasses a number of individual but related specialisms all focussed on delivering a city for those wishing to live and work here. Those specialisms include Strategic Planning, Ecology, Trees and Landscape, Urban Design, Conservation, Archaeology and Environmental Protection.
What is the job role?
We are looking to recruit a Planning Technician to assist with the processing of planning applications, providing advice on validation requirements, fee enquiries and straight forward planning enquiries. This role would be ideal for someone wanting to start a career in Town Planning.
The main duties and responsibilities of the role include (but are not limited to):
- To validate applications against the local and national Government requirements including interpretation of legislation, measurement of plans and calculation of fees.
- To accurately input and retrieve data from IT based systems, and on-line services.
- To ensure that planning appeals are registered; to complete and return questionnaires; to undertake all correspondence and publicity in connection with appeals; ensure appeal timetables are met; provide required documentation working in conjunction with case officers and arrange venues for informal hearings/inquiries; preparation of appeal plans.
- To provide advice, guidance and respond appropriately to enquiries by telephone, letter, email and face to face relating to the work of the Planning Service
Full list of duties and responsibilities are included in the Job Description & Person Specification attached below.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for someone with knowledge of customer care and the principles of equal opportunities in providing a Planning function.
You will have the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of organisations and individuals and be able to demonstrate a flexible approach to work patterns and systems and work effectively as part of a team and on own initiative. Accuracy skills and an eye for detail is key, along with numeracy skills and effective written and verbal communication skills including a neat written presentation.
To apply for this role you must have GCSE’s in English and Maths, Grade C and above. You will have recent customer service experience as well as relevant experience in a technical role which required you to use ICT. Experience of using computer databases, and Microsoft packages such as PowerPoint, Excel, Word and Outlook is essential.
When applying for this role you will be asked to write a personal statement. When writing your personal statement please include the following:
- An example of when you have communicated effectively with a customer or audience
- Your understanding of the planning process
- An example of a piece of work that was produced using a variety of ICT systems, include what the work was and which systems/packages were used.
Please note we do not accept uploaded CV's. Please ensure you demonstrate your experience and skills on the personal statement section of the application form.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
All attachments for the job can be found here
Interview date(s): week commencing 30/11/2020
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
For full details on the application process please read the attached document labelled Coventry CC Application process.
Coventry City Council