Passenger Transport Driver
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
About the team we are recruiting to
Special Needs Transport (SNT) Coventry is responsible for delivering transport services to approximately 700 passengers daily amounting to approximately 280,000 trips each year.
As a result our customers are able to access and take part in the following wide range of services and activities:
- Social care transport for adults with learning difficulties and older people to day care and/or learning opportunities
- Education and learning, home to school transport for children and young people with special educational needs and/or physical and/or sensory impairments
- Transport to school, contact or medical appointments for children who are looked after by the authority
- Health related services including the provision of clean linen to residential homes and people cared for in their own homes; and
- Employment related services
SNT employs approximately 180 people equating to 130 full time equivalent roles, operates a fleet of over 70 passenger carrying vehicles, and has a trading turnover of over £5 million per annum, the majority of which is used to commission transport from taxis and external transport providers.
The positions being recruited to are on a split shift basis and there will be a need for successful candidates to work in the morning and afternoon with a break in between.
What is the job role?
The job involves providing a high level of service to the citizens of Coventry who require transportation to and from schools, day care centres for older people, colleges and centres for citizens with learning difficulties. This can involve handling large wheelchairs and loading them on and off the vehicle securing the wheelchair on the vehicle and dealing with any other situation that might arise on the vehicle.
Continuity is a vital part of the service we provide and we endeavour to keep the same driver and escort on the vehicle as much as is reasonable practicable. In summary the role involves the following tasks:
- Undertake all driving duties in allocated vehicles as instructed by a Supervisor.
- Pick up clients and transport them to their point of destination using the vehicle in a safe manner at all times.
- Take all reasonable steps to prevent clients from causing harm to themselves and/or others.
- Carry out daily vehicle checks before start of journey and report all defects to Workshops for action.
- Complete all paperwork as requested.
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Who are we looking for?
Professionalism and a good work ethic are an essential part of our service as this projects a good image to the citizens of Coventry out on our roads. We expect our drivers to:
- Respect all clients and treat them with sensitivity at all times.
- Be flexible in working contracted hours over a standard working day and over a 5-day working week on a rota basis as and when required to meet the needs of the service.
This role is 20 hours per week term time only (38 weeks a year). You will work approximately 4 hours a day which will be split into 2 shifts of 2 hours - morning and afternoon.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
As soon as your application is submitted it will be shortlisted and if successful you will be asked to attend an interview.
Coventry has a proud, innovative and creative spirit that throughout its history has seen communities come together to tackle problems and bring about real social change.
We are cutting-edge, challenging, youthful, vibrant and diverse.
At Coventry we are committed to excellence in everything we do. With around 4800 staff from a range of different backgrounds, our aim is to recruit and develop talented people who will focus on our customers, take responsibility, work together and find better ways of doing things.
To deliver the best services to our residents, we need the best people working for us to make a difference to our communities.
If you join us, we will provide a fantastic rewards & benefits package which includes:
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Opportunity for Salary Match
- An outstanding local government pension scheme
- Great opportunities to develop with access to accredited courses.
- Access to an award-winning Occupational Health Service
- Salary Sacrifice Scheme
Coventry City Council