Mental Health Social Worker
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
About the team we are recruiting to
Adult Social Care is part of the People Directorate within Coventry City Council. We have a simple vision and strategy that defines what we are trying to achieve, our purpose and our approach which underpin the principles of Adult Social Care, and we continue to work in support of this.
In a simple sense all our work, at whatever level should continue to support the strategy of: ‘Providing support, in the least intrusive manner possible, based on the assets, resources and abilities that are available to people’.
Adult Social Care encompasses a wide range of vital services covering;
- Commissioning Team – we commission and work with a number of providers, to ensure that people with care needs have access to a range of good quality support to enable them to live independent and fulfilling lives
- Social Work Services - we work with individuals who have care and support needs, and with their carers be they older or younger adults
- Occupational Therapy and Equipment Services - we aim to enhance people’s ability to live safely and independently in their home
- Internally Provided Services – we provide direct support to people enabling those in most need to live independent and fulfilled lives
- Business Systems and Continuous Improvement - we provide a range of services including Financial Assessments, provider payment processing and Business Systems administration. The Business Systems team provide support to Adult Social Care, Children’s Services and Education Services.
This is an exciting time to join us as we work to put adults and their carers at the heart of everything we do. Specifically, if you are social workers, occupational therapists or social care professionals who are committed to achieving the best outcomes for adults and their carers we will help you make a difference through manageable caseloads, high-quality professional support, supervision and guidance and excellent learning and development opportunities
What is the job role?
This is a fabulous opportunity to join our mental health services in Coventry, we are looking to recruit highly motivated Social Workers to join statutory mental health services. You will be based at various locations within Coventry and will be supporting people with severe and enduring mental disorders. We have vacancies for 3 Mental Health Social Workers working 37 hours, 30 hours, and 22.5 hours per week.
The community mental health teams are fully multi-disciplinary with a range of highly experienced and skilled staff including Consultant Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Approved Mental Health Professionals, Community Mental Health Nurses, Occupational Therapists and Support Workers.
The Teams are not area based and work with people across the whole of Coventry. The work includes:
- Outcome focussed individual assessment and recovery care plans
- Individualised Budgets and Direct Payments.
- Safeguarding alerts and investigations.
- Accessing community and universal services
- Positive risk-taking and management
- Support for carers
- Assessments under the Mental Health Act and Mental Capacity Act
You will have the opportunity to experience and partake in the full range of training available to the team and dedicated professional development forums. In addition to regular individual supervision and career development sessions.
For an informal discussion regarding this post, please contact: Neil Emsden on 024 7696 1242 or email: email@example.com or Matt Bilbe on 024 76976540 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Who are we looking for?
The work is stimulating, demanding, often challenging but highly rewarding. You will be committed to working as part of a very experienced and supportive team. You will be highly motivated and willing to learn, able to adapt to changing situations and meet deadlines. This is an excellent opportunity for suitably skilled and experienced individuals to join the Teams and enhance the quality of care for the citizens of Coventry.
The right candidates will have:
- Excellent assessment skills
- Working knowledge of and application of The Care Programme Approach, MHA, MCA, The Care Act, and Children’s Act
- An AMHP Qualification (not essential) or a willingness to undertake training
- Organisation, recording, and workload management skills
- Diplomacy, negotiating, and listening skills.
- Be able to work in partnership with users, carers, and colleagues.
- To work as part of a team
- Have autonomy and decision-making skills
- Develop personal home treatment plans
- Good IT skills
- Have a vision for your own career development and future training
- Resilience, flexible, and have stamina
In return you will:
- Be welcomed in joining a highly professional and thoroughly hard working, friendly team
- Group and individual professional supervision from the Team Manager / Senior Practitioner within the team
- Excellent in house and external training opportunities.
- Opportunities to experience and present at various professional forums including our Pre-Court Legal Panel.
- Highly competitive salary with career development opportunities
- Salary will be dependent on experience and grade starting from £27,514 to £45,648 per annum.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Interview date: 19th October 2022
Coventry has a proud, innovative and creative spirit that throughout its history has seen communities come together to tackle problems and bring about real social change.
We are cutting-edge, challenging, youthful, vibrant and diverse.
At Coventry we are committed to excellence in everything we do. With around 4800 staff from a range of different backgrounds, our aim is to recruit and develop talented people who will focus on our customers, take responsibility, work together and find better ways of doing things.
To deliver the best services to our residents, we need the best people working for us to make a difference to our communities.
If you join us, we will provide a fantastic rewards & benefits package which includes:
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Opportunity for Salary Match
- An outstanding local government pension scheme
- Great opportunities to develop with access to accredited courses.
- Access to an award-winning Occupational Health Service
- Salary Sacrifice Scheme
Coventry City Council