Business Support Officer
It’s great to know that you are interested in working with us at Coventry City Council. As a prospective employee, it is important that everyone who works for us is committed to our One Coventry values and shares our commitment to becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation.
Our Values are:
About the team we are recruiting to
Coventry City Council’s Migration Team is an innovative and dynamic team that is focused on meeting the needs of newly arriving communities in the city and supporting integration.
The team works with internal and diverse external partners to deliver projects and other interventions based on our migrant needs assessment and other evidence related to the barriers faced by new migrants.
Coventry was one of the first cities to welcome Syrian refugees in 2014, and the team leads a partnership in delivering a resettlement programme welcoming some of the most vulnerable individuals fleeing conflict and persecution from Syria and the Middle East. Work is centred on enabling refugees to make Coventry their new home, living with dignity and respect as well as contributing positively to our vibrant and growing city.
Building on Coventry’s history of welcoming new arrivals into the city, we work towards maintaining a strategic overview of our refugee and migrant population including people seeking asylum dispersed to the city. With over £3.5m already brought into the city, from external funding we establish collaborative partnerships to maximise interventions that promote community cohesion and enable everyone to contribute towards making Coventry a place where people choose to live, learn and work.
The Migration Team celebrates diversity while also ensuring rights, opportunities and responsibilities are understood.
· My Coventry
· Your Vision, Your Future
· Step and Step Forward
· Homes for Ukraine
What is the job role?
The Migration Team have been awarded funding through the Asylum Migration and Integration Fund (AMIF) aimed at supporting Third County Nationals, including refugees, who are living in the city. The ‘My Coventry’ project will provide bespoke interventions to meet the specific needs and barriers that hinder integration and aims to deliver support across three specific themes: community and social links; language and learning and employment skills and development.
To ensure the successful delivery of the project, the Migration Team are seeking to recruit a Business Support Officer.
The post is temporary until 28th February 2023 with the potential to be extended.
Secondments will be considered
Who are we looking for?
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- Excellent ICT skills and be proficient in using a variety of packages, Word and Excel and other financial packages in order to accurately record, analyse, monitor, and review information
- Excellent Excel skills to monitor income and expenditure of the project, as well as record, process, and follow up payments to suppliers
- Meticulous approach and attention to detail to ensure effective financial and administrative support to the projects
- Experience in partnership work and the ability to keep good working relationships with stakeholders and partner organisations and liaise with them in an effective way to support the interest of the Council and the client base
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team, on your own and with a wide range of partners is also critical to this role and strong analytical and interpersonal skills
- Reconcile any discrepancies or errors identified by conversing with partners
- Effective time management skills, with an ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines and prioritise competing work tasks
- To support the Project and Programme Manager in any other designated work as appropriate.
When applying for this role you will be asked to write a personal statement. In the personal statement, please also include your responses against the following three questions:
- Please explain how you have supported projects to successfully deliver project outputs and targets, including assisting in the production of meeting papers and briefings
- Please explain in what capacity you have been/were involved in supporting projects to ensure effective financial and administrative support to projects.
- Please provide examples of how you have used Excel/spreadsheets to record financial and/or quantitative data to support the financial management of projects?
Please see Job Description and Person Specification for more details.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
Coventry City Council